Lock it or Lose It
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2016
PEMBROKE – With the warm weather, or any time of year for that matter, there have been thieves walking the streets looking for crimes of opportunity.
Over the years, members of the Upper Ottawa Valley Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) have found that thieves will walk the streets trying car door handles and if the door is unlocked, they steal anything they can, from purses, loose change, and GPSs to cell phones, sunglasses, and electronics - the list goes on. If the door is locked they move on to the next one. They are looking for a quick and easy grab.
The OPP is asking for the public’s assistance to lessen the opportunities, by either removing the valuables and/or locking their vehicle.
Locking up should apply to your home and property as well. Lock your garage, house and other valuables, such as your bicycle. You work hard to earn your money, so work hard to protect your property - LOCK IT OR LOSE IT.
AUTO THEFT PROTECTION TIPS
A vehicle with an unlocked door or an open window is an easy target. Protect your vehicle from theft.
• Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors and pocket the keys when you park your car. Park in a well-lit area and never leave valuables in plain view.
• Never leave your vehicle unattended while it is running.
• If you have a garage, use it and lock the door as well as your vehicle.
• Never leave your car keys in plain view or in an easily accessible area.
• Keep your vehicle registration certificate and proof of insurance on you at all times. Don’t leave these documents in your glove compartment.
• Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view. Put them in the trunk.
• Give only your ignition key to a parking lot attendant. Keep all other keys with you.
•Inform your local police department or call the IBC TIPS line at 1-877-IBC-TIPS if you see vehicles or vehicle-related activities that look suspicious.