We are Safety Services: Ticks and Lyme Disease
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2017
Blacklegged or Deer Ticks are known to inhabit much of the 4 Cdn Div AOR and are spreading. They are active from at least May 1st to October 31st, inhabit forests, transitional and border areas between forests and grassland, animal pathways in, or connecting to such areas and may carry the Lyme disease bacteria. When training or operating in the field:
1. Keep sleeves rolled down and pants tucked-in;
2. Apply insect repellant with at least 20% Deet to exposed skin;
3. If possible treat operational clothing with permethrin, (through Health Services);
4. Conduct frequent and thorough body checks for ticks; and
5. If a tick has been able to lodge in your skin for several hours seek medical attention.