Security Awareness Tips - Phishing: How Many Take the Bait?
Posted on Thursday August 8, 2019
If you’ve ever clicked on one of those devious little emails, you’re not alone.
• Nine per cent of online Canadians have replied to spam mail unknowingly.
• Seven per cent have replied to spoof or phishing emails unknowingly.
• Three per cent have entered bank details on a site they don’t know.
That’s over one million Canadians.
DON’T GET PHISHED!
• Phishing emails often look like real emails from a trusted source such as your bank or an online retailer, right down to logos and graphics.
• They may ask you to verify your account, or warn you that your account will be closed if you don’t respond.
• Be wary of any email asking you to provide personal information; if you’re not sure an email is legitimate get in touch with your bank or the company to verify.
Information courtesy of: GetCyberSafe.gc.ca