Town of Petawawa Fire Chief urges residents to keep hot ashes out of green bins

By Patricia Leboeuf

Posted on Thursday February 1, 2018


Putting ashes in your green bin could cost you everything.

After a December fire on Hilda Street, the Petawawa Fire Department is reminding people not to put ashes or anything warm in their green bins.

On Dec. 12, the crew responded to a fire call. They found the side of a home engulfed in flames and the homeowners attempting to put out the fire by throwing snow on it. Firefighters ensured the fire was properly extinguished and hadn’t spread further. They later discovered that the cause of the fire was the disposal of fireplace ashes in the green bin, which was placed against the wall of the house.

“We have to somehow get the message out there (not to put ashes in the green bin),” said Fire Chief Steve Knott, adding the containers have a warning on them.

The recommendation is that if the homeowner has a yard, they should put the hot ashes onto the garden and wait until the spring.

“It ... doesn’t hurt the soil at all,” said Knott.