News from the Silver Threads Seniors Club
By Barbara Bailey
Posted on Thursday, January 8, 2018
This week we will be having lots of fun and delicious food with the greatest music from the 50’s. The Fabulous February Dinner/Dance will be held on Thursday, February 8, and the doors open at 5 p.m., with dinner being served at 6 p.m. The cost of the tickets are $25 for members and $30 for non-members. We will have a door prize, a raffle, a 50/50 draw. Bring your Valentine or come solo, we all have a good evening with friends. Phone the office for tickets or drop into the Club.
This is the time of the year when the streets and walkways are slippery and snow covered and may prove to be very dangerous to everyone walking outside.
You Can Prevent Falls---Renfrew County and District Health Unit
Anyone can fall. But, as we age, our risk of falling becomes greater. That’s the bad news. The good news is that falls can be prevented. The first step to avoiding falls is to understand what causes them. For example, poor balance, decreased muscle and bone strength, reduced vision or hearing, and unsafe conditions in and around your home can increase your chance of falling. Staying safe and on your feet is a matter of taking some steps to protect yourself.
You can prevent falls by making the needed adjustments to your home and lifestyle, and by making sure you eat well, stay fit, and use whatever devices will help your daily life while keeping you safe. Your independence and well-being are at stake. Take action!
Your Home: Keep front steps and walkway in good repair and free of snow, ice and leaves.
• Keep front entrance well lit.
• Reduce clutter! Get rid of loose wires and cords as well as any other obstacles.
• Use a cordless phone, have good lighting and install night lights. Ensure the path is clear between bathroom and bedroom. Get rid of scatter mats or ensure they are non-slip.
• Get out of your bed or chair slowly, moving suddenly can make you dizzy. Store heavy items in lower cupboards. Wipe any spills immediately to prevent slipping. Ensure stairs are well lit. Install solid handrails on both sides of the stairway. Never rush up or down the stairs, ensure you have non-slip surfaces for the tub and shower
• Install well-anchored grab bars by the toilet and bath to help you sit and stand. Use a raised toilet seat, and a bath seat in the shower, if you require them. Keep the floor clear of water or obstacles.
Eat well to stay strong. Keep fit and improve your balance. Use medications wisely.
The Seniors Club is located at 1163 Victoria Street, Petawawa. The phone number is: 613 687-6574 and the e-mail is email@example.com. The office hours are Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Bring in your Independent stamped receipts and place them in the box provided. We have an elevator for anyone who may have mobility problems.
Have fun in the Snow and I will see you at the Club!