We are Safety Services: Proper Hand Hygiene
By Bernard McKenley
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2017
1. We all have a role to play in practicing proper hand hygiene every day and in every setting. We can make a difference and minimize the spread of germs by always practicing good hand washing.
Wash your hands frequently
• before and after eating;
• after using the bathroom;
• after work or play;
• after coughing or sneezing; and
• after touching surfaces that may have been contaminated.
2. Fifteen to 20 seconds of hand washing with warm water and soap helps remove bacteria and viruses.
3. Alcohol hand sanitizer that contains 60 to 90 per cent alcohol base is very effective and can be used when there is no visible soil. Keep a supply handy at home, at work, at school and in the car. It should be used with supervision for young children.
4. It is a good idea to have hand sanitizer dispensers upon entering and exiting a building, and signs reminding people to wash their hands. Don’t forget, safety is everyone’s responsibility and you are the most important person when it comes to safety.