We are Safety Services: You know you have the right training when...

By Gail Rodgers

Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2017

A typical spring work day, or what my friend thought was a typical work day, turned critical in a matter of seconds. The yelling of voices over the top of the cubicles broke the cubicle drone, “does anyone know CPR?”

Luckily there were two people in their cubicles that both knew CPR and rushed to the scene to find a co-worker lying on the floor, clutching his chest. There were people milling about and they were not sure what to do. Their first aid and CPR training kicked in and they had someone call 911.

The responders proceeded to check to see if the individual was responsive. He was unresponsive. They asked if anyone had seen this happen and a co-worker did. The co-worker said the victim had just felt a pain in their chest and had taken a nitro spray. The 1st responder asked to have the info relayed to 911. The responders detected a faint raspy breath every five to 10 seconds. The other co-worker who knew first aid and CPR had the area cleared of objects and people, and continued to give the vitals to the person speaking with the 911 operator. With some assistance, the 1st responder put the individual in the recovery position and maintained the watch of his vital signs, ensuring the airway was kept clear.

The 2nd responder assisted in keeping the focus by regulating the consistent time back to the 1st responder to keep checking the vitals. When his breathing became raspier, both responders turned him back over to start CPR breaths and compressions when the paramedics came rushing in and took over.

The responders transferred information to the head paramedic and the police officers at the scene. When the medics came in, the victim had just started to lose his pulse; paramedics then had to shock him, stabilize him and transport him to the hospital. The paramedics had indicated that those initial steps the responders had taken kept him alive.

The gentleman fully recovered and had a special shock-device implanted in his chest and eventually returned to work.

My friend was extremely grateful for the training she had received in First Aid and CPR.