What to do when you want to apply for an Occupation Transfer

The Annual Voluntary Occupational Transfer Program (AVOTP) and Officer Voluntary Occupational Transfer Program (OVOTP) are designed to offer serving members an opportunity to change career fields, while continuing to serve in uniform. Members who take advantage of these programs can transfer to a more suitable occupation, potentially extending their careers in the CAF, while acquiring new skills and working in a new operational environment.

Once you have made the decision to change occupations, it is important that you visit the Personnel Selection Office ACIMS SharePoint site to view the eligibility criteria. Meeting with a PSO at an occupational transfer information session is an excellent way to gather more information, and have an assessment of your eligibility, based on your Canadian Forces Aptitude Test Scores. You can find the registration form on our website on the DWAN at: http://acims.mil.ca/sp/4CDSBPetPersSvcsPSO/SitePages/Home.aspx

When you find out if you are eligible it is time to start your paperwork.

First print out all the documents, including the checklist from the website above. Next, you should visit your unit Orderly Room to find out if there are any specific unit requirements that need to be followed. Then you can start filling out the application form and other paperwork. If you start early, it will allow your Orderly Room to ensure your file makes it to the PSO office in plenty of time before the deadline. The PSO will then contact you to arrange your interview.


  • Please follow the checklist. If an application is received incomplete, it will be returned to your unit. Files received after the deadline cannot be accepted.
  • Ensure that both your medical and Physical Fitness Test are up to date on your MPRR. If the occupation you want requires a special medical, book it now.
  • Find out everything you can about the job you want to go into, and how you have current skills that apply to it.

For more information, please visit our website or contact our office at 613-687-5511 x 4626 or x 5131.